s

bob'sbarnablog

Monday, May 23, 2005


One of the three species of vampire bat, Desmodus rotundus (or Old-fashioned Fatty to the other two species) needs to consume half its body weight in blood each day. Since hanging onto a mammal by its teeth for twenty minutes can be a very tricky operation, many young inexpert bats fail to drink their fill. Studies on food-sharing have shown that although bats that go hungry for three days are likely to starve to death, other successful roostmates regurgitate blood both to famished related and totally unrelated recipients. Close observation has shown that this is not a willy-nilly occurrence and that individuals deny food to upstart roostmates from whom they have previously been refused nourishment.

This suggests mutual back-scratching despite the use of such behaviour to demonstrate altruism in the animal world. Wilkinson (1986) also found that food was traded for non-food benefits and bats exchanged nosh for claw massages and football cards.

When compared to the vampire bat's subtle and sophisticated levels of social awareness, the fruit-eating, nectar-sucking megabat's nocturnal cries of "me, me, me" are enough to put any self-respecting Chiroptera to shame.
 Posted by Hello

4 Comments:

  • At 1:43 pm, Blogger Dave said…

    Willy-nilly coming, as somone observed on my blog recently, from Will I, Nil I: ‘I am willing, I am unwilling’

     
  • At 2:51 pm, Blogger Bob said…

    Perhaps more suitable than willy-willy, which according to the Concise Oxford is used in Australia to mean a cyclone or dust storm.

     
  • At 2:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And what about shilly shally then?
    From Simon (can't remember my effing Bogger password.)

     
  • At 9:45 am, Blogger Bob said…

    Hello Simon - I would have got some Champagne and twiglets in had I known you were coming.

    Could the password be m something k something l somnething and have a cryptozoological reference?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter Blogwise - blog directory Blogarama - The Blogs Directory