s

bob'sbarnablog

Friday, May 13, 2005

just happened to be:

Just happened to be in a Gestalt therapy group session. The session involved exploration of the Johari Window, a model invented by a couple of psychologists called Jo and Harry* that is used in self-help groups and for corporate purposes to explore the process of self-disclosure. The window divides interpersonal relationships into four quadrants that define whether or not two communicating parties know information about one of them.

The first quadrant is called the "Arena" and is an open area of knowledge that is common to both parties about one of them. Examples could be name, sex and physical characteristics. In the second quadrant, called the "Facade", the first person knows information about her or himself that the second is unaware of. The third quadrant is called the "Blind Spot". Here, the first person is unaware of information that the second knows. The fourth quadrant is called the "Unknown" and represents information that is unknown to both parties.

Like me, most people in the group were interested in having saucy info about their Blind Spot revealed to them. Others in the group gave me details that ranged from verbal abuse to flattery. Such information also depends on the details others are prepared to give (which reveals the extent to which they are willing to disclose information about themselves). A very useful fact I did learn was that the suit and tie that I believed I was wearing was in reality a nun’s habit and wimple.

* True

9 Comments:

  • At 12:18 pm, Blogger Dave said…

    Thank you for that. Mt ex is a counsellor, and would often mention Johari windows. I am so glad to know what they mean - and even more to know where the name comes from.

     
  • At 12:41 pm, Blogger Dave said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:42 pm, Blogger Dave said…

    Interesting typo there. My ex is not, in fact, a mountain. Second sentence should start 'My ex...'.

    [I deleted the last post, because it too contained a typo.]

     
  • At 12:59 pm, Blogger Bob said…

    I did check to see whether the "t" is next to the "y" on the keyboard and indeed it is.

    I make a lot of typos because of my large, cumbersome fingers. I'm thinking of developing a keyboard that would be foot-operated - with a system similar to a church organ's foot pedals. Operative word: thinking.

     
  • At 2:25 pm, Blogger Dave said…

    My feet are somewhat bigger than my fingers, so a foot-keyboard would, I suspect, making typing even more of a lottery.

     
  • At 3:45 pm, Blogger Bob said…

    True, it would need considerable space but inaccuracies could be countered using special pointed shoes.

     
  • At 5:50 pm, Blogger Dave said…

    Perhaps special gloves with pointed finger-tips would solve the problem at a stroke.

     
  • At 8:06 pm, Blogger Dave said…

    If you go into production of the pointed-finger-typing gloves, a regular royalty payment will ensure my silence.

     
  • At 11:12 am, Blogger Bob said…

    The royalty agreement could initially cover Franz Josef Land with a view to extending it to Novaya Zemlya should the product prove successful.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter Blogwise - blog directory Blogarama - The Blogs Directory