s

bob'sbarnablog

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

just happened to be:

Just happened to be in the Sudanese Ministry of Unnecessary Bureaucracy and Superfluous Paperwork. I had gone there to pick up the exit visa required by all foreigners who had been in Sudan for over six months and wished to leave the country. The combination of Ramadan in the hot season and fast-induced torpor meant little impression was being made on the lengthy queue of people waiting to be attended at the single desk.

In my few days at the ministry I had got to know both Ismael, who worked at the desk, and the other fifty or so people whose jobs did not involve dealing with the public. To my dismay, when my turn came to collect the visa, Ismael told me he couldn’t find my passport anywhere. I leaned over the table and implored him to look again and in so doing moved the desk slightly. One of the table legs was shorter than the others and so an in-house wobbliness compensation system had been devised to stop the desk from moving. The reliability of the system had just been undone. Ismael looked down to sort it out and found a pile of passports.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:38 pm, Blogger Dave said…

    One could suggest this is a caricature – and yet a caricature must be based on at least a hint of the truth, and sadly, this story rings very true, in my experience.

     
  • At 4:00 pm, Blogger Bob said…

    The story is true - no embellishment. Visits to Sudanese government ministries were lengthy procedures. Experiences with Spanish bureaucracy have not always proved snappy affairs either.

     
  • At 10:44 am, Blogger Dave said…

    I don't disbeleive you. My dealings have been with Middle Eastern officialdom. Mind you, I suspect a foreigner (say an asylum seaker) visiting Britain might find our sytems equally impenetrable.

     
  • At 12:25 pm, Blogger Bob said…

    Paperwork for asylum seekers is generally a big obstacle and even more difficult without a good command of English (or Spanish here).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter Blogwise - blog directory Blogarama - The Blogs Directory